Logo



Livestock Genetics
Intelagri specialises in designing genetic programmes to develop and increase dairy herd productivity and efficiency.  Using the latest technologies, these programmes produce animals of high genetic merit featuring increased longevity, milk production and excellent confirmation.  All livestock are individually assessed and mated to the best available sires of superb genetic quality.



Genetic Programmes
For more than fifty years genetic programs have been extremely successful at improving the productivity of dairy cattle populations. Breeding for improved health, reproduction and longevity are key factors in the genetic selection of dairy cattle. Progeny testing programs and the systematic use of well proven elite bulls has been universally successful. Impregnation of cows on a timely basis using genetically superior sires is a key element of successful dairy herd management. Reproductive efficiency on dairy farms requires maximizing conception rates at initial and subsequent services. A significant result of high conception rates is the genetic improvement of the dairy herd due to the continuous inclusion of replacement heifers.

Genomics

Genomic selection is the assessment of an animal based on its DNA profile. Continued advancement in this technology has introduced relatively inexpensive screening for thousands of locations along the 30 pairs of chromosomes in the bovine DNA sequence. Genomic selection offers many advantages regarding the rate of genetic gain in dairy cattle breeding programs including greater accuracies in the prediction of genetic merit in young animals and the determination of genetic attributes at a much earlier stage relative to traditional progeny testing methods. By increasing the accuracy and intensity of selection and shortening the generation interval, the rate of genetic progress for economically important dairy traits can be effectively doubled



helix
Heritability is the amount of total variation for a given trait in a population attributable to genetics.
Consider two cows in separate herds each having a different protein yield. Around 40% of the difference in their protein yields is due to genetics and the other 60% is due to herd management, nutrition and environment (the heritability of protein yield is high at 40%)

cheese
The annual rate of genetic progress in a breed or herd is affected by four specific parameters. These include (a) controlling the loss of genetic variation existing in the breed, (b) increasing the intensity of selection applied, (c) increasing the accuracy of selection, and (d) decreasing the generation interval between parents and progeny through the selection of younger genomically tested bulls.

milk
The natural result of managing a high genetic merit dairy herd in comfortable facilities with a well-balanced nutritious diet is the production of premium quality milk in high volumes combined with high percentages of butterfat and protein content. The Net Margin translates to High Net Profitability